Friday, March 16, 2012

SOLC 16

I am afraid if I stand close to them long enough or if I eat with them, their crank will rub off on me. Yes, I'm scared of them. I do not dare enter their lair (the faculty room) in the morning nor at lunch. By them, I mean "those" teachers. You know who I mean. I mean "those" teachers in the faculty room who are complaining about everything, the ones who find something wrong with every new initiative. You know, the one who complains when you enthusiastically mention doing something new. Every school has at least one of them. Some have even more than one. Sometimes, if you are not careful, their crank can become contagious. My friends and I have a rule, never let a fellow friend enter the lair unattended. If you must enter the lair, buddy up. You must always have back up. Sadly, I went without back-up today. I broke the golden rule. I should have known better. Whatever was I thinking? I mean, today was party central, the day before St. Patrick's Day. The lair was hopping, hence my reason for my entering the lair. I thought it would be nice for the faculty to have some Irish Soda Bread. Not being of sound mind I quickly ran into the lair without thinking. Upon entering to drop off the soda bread the noise level was deafening. Today's topic of crank was about our new breakfast program. I chose not to become involved in the discussion when asked. I just nodded and kept my head down. I quickly dropped the soda bread and butter on the table and escaped unharmed. Ha! I was quick to pat myself on the back for my quick escape. I returned to my room. I marveled with my friend how I had escaped the lair without battle wounds. I spoke too soon. I realized after getting back to my room that I had left my papers in the faculty room. Oh no! I must go back. I glanced at the clock. It was a good time, no one would be there. The student's were coming in now from the buses. I made a mad dash up the stairs to the lair. Upon entering I see that the soda bread has been cut into. People are enjoying it. I also notice that someone has stolen one of the sticks of butter! What? Really? I glance at one of the special area teachers that is making her coffee. I begin to complain about how I can't believe that someone would steal a stick of butter. While I am speaking I realize…oh…my…word..it has happened! I am complaining about something so trivial. Their crank has rubbed off on me. I stop mid-sentence. I apologize to my fellow teacher. With a perplexed look, she says, "ok?" I grab my papers and get out of there! Not sure what happened to me back there, but really? Over a stick of butter? I broke the cardinal rule. Never let us enter the lair unattended! BUDDY UP! It's a good rule! One I most likely won't forget next time! Nor will I forget to bring extra butter, apparently it is in large demand in the lair!
Hugs,

Happy Friday!

5 comments:

Deb Day said...

Oh, thanks for the chuckle. You are right. Every school has them. It's hard, isn't it. To bite your tongue and not get involved. Don't let the bullies get you down!

Deanna H said...

I can so relate. That is why I eat lunch everyday in my classroom. You post is so very true. I love the buddy system part :)

Christy Rush-Levine said...

I love the play on the word "crank." I am so glad you saved yourself last minute from the crank! Phew!

I encountered similar people at the IRC conference today, which is even more disheartening. The teacher's lounge is one thing, but at such an opportunity for professional growth? Really?? I wish there were more of YOU in the world...but I am sure glad I at least get to know this one YOU!

Pettit said...

Oh Deb...you are so right! Never let them get us down..

Deanna, sadly, we eat in our rooms too. However, we have a great lunch bunch...

Christy, So not right! Sadly, I have been at Calendar Days at Teachers College where teachers were complaining bitterly while Lucy Caulkins was talking. It is something I just can't wrap my mind around. I want to scream, "HELLO?" Lucy is talking! Do you not understand who/what she represents? I feel so fortunate when I get to meet and learn from like minded people like you. WE are the lucky ones and unfortunately they don't even know they are missing out and so are the students in their classrooms.

Ryan said...

Be the change, change the conversation, love the idea of a partner,though how can we infuse our faculty rooms with positive energy? What message does not being there send to our colleagues? Roland Barth ....idea of kids in the sandbox....what would happen if there was a topic for discussion on the table each day so that we can infuse our faculty rooms with professional dialogue